The past 24 hours might have been the craziest in my life. No joke. Let’s review…
- Two minutes before work yesterday, I received a message that there was a “clearance delay” with our DHL package containing our embassy paperwork. Paperwork that is due tomorrow. I promptly called DHL who were all “uhh… I’m not sure what’s up with your package… umm… we’ll call you back.” I freak a tad. Then I turn to google for its interpretation on this message, and all signs point to the fact that our package was likely seized and searched. I freak more.
- Head to work where I continue to stalk my DHL tracking page between patients. Alas, I receive a message that said the package was delivered! One less thing to worry about… so I thought.
- At 3am this morning, I check my email (because that’s what adoptive parents do, duh) and read a series of emails expressing concern that our contact in DRC had not yet received our binders. WHAT THE WHAT? Uh, DHL clearly stated that our binders had been delivered and signed for! Our contact says he had never heard of anyone by the name of the individual who signed, and I convince myself that our binder had been stolen and so would our identities (because, let’s be real, these binders contained paperwork detailing every ounce of our existence). Lie awake the rest of the night.
- Around 9am, another bomb is dropped when I learn that the US National Visa Center made a mistake and sent our CIS clearance info to Nairobi instead of Kinshasa. Fabulous. Try calling the US Embassy in Nairobi to fix the issue, but they’re closed for the day. This is no bueno, as our paperwork cannot be dropped off in Kinshasa tomorrow if they don’t have the CIS clearance info. Oh, but nevermind… there isn’t any paperwork to drop off anyway. BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN STOLEN ALONG WITH OUR IDENTITIES.
- Eventually get in touch with another (more helpful) lady at the National Visa Center who listens to my “why in the world did our info get sent to Nairobi? we need it in Congo by tomorrow!” rant and then puts me on hold. I wait and wait until she at last gets back on the line, chuckles, and says, “Wow! Well, the file was just transferred to Kinshasa overnight! Aren’t you lucky?” Disaster #13414 averted.
- Get word that our binders of paperwork have been tracked down! Hooray!! I have my identity back!!
- Learn that our facilitator spoke with the US Embassy in Kinshasa about our little situation with the storm and that they are more than willing to reschedule our embassy appointment to one week later, November 14th.
- Make the difficult decision that, rather than risking it, we’d give them another week to straighten out the mess in NYC and return our passports and visas to us. Reschedule flights. Pray for no hurricanes, avalanches, or volcanoes. Exhale. Nap.
Elizabeth, we love you. Clearly. We’re coming! T-11 days ’till departure! No ifs, ands, or buts. Period. The end.